Comcast NBCUniversal works to reduce the environmental footprint of our facilities. Our buildings identify ways to improve efficiency in energy, water consumption and waste reduction through innovative design elements. The Telemundo Center, a new state-of-the-art global headquarters for Telemundo in Miami is one such example, rising to the challenge of building better.
The Telemundo Center’s 500,000 square-foot facility is built on 21 acres with studios for news, sports, entertainment, international and digital media all under a single roof. Moving from Hialeah, Florida, the guiding principle for the new headquarters’ conceptual design plan ensures the adoption of advanced sustainability standards and initiatives. Among the main business practices promoted at the new facility are waste reduction methods that limit environmental impact and promote sustainability.
Here are some significant green initiatives being implemented throughout the new building:
- “Think before you print”: A new digitalization and archiving policy to incentivize less printing and conserve paper, ink and electricity. Secure Printers that employees can access throughout the building also eliminate the need of additional individual printers.
- Lighting and Energy Saving: The building uses 100% LED light to consume less electricity than incandescent or fluorescent lighting. Each light can be controlled individually so they can be off when not in use and save additional power usage. Strategically placed skylights also allow for natural light throughout the building.
- Cafeteria: Non-disposable silverware is provided to all employees. For takeout orders, eco-friendly packaging and cutlery are offered. No plastic utensils, mugs or straws are used. To promote further waste reduction, discounts are offered at the coffee bar for employees that use reusable mugs.
- Water refilling stations: No plastic water bottles are sold in the building to eliminate waste. Instead, there are 4 water-refilling stations available on each floor. Each one monitors how many plastic bottles have been saved with every fill at the facility. This effort alone keeps an average of 443 plastic water bottles out of circulation daily which adds up to 115,180 bottles per year. To date, 20,241 plastic bottles of water have been eliminated thanks to these refilling stations alone.
Waste and Recycling
- Organic Waste: Establishing a clean desk etiquette, no organic waste is permitted in work areas. All organic waste is collected and disposed of in pantries or the cafeteria.
- Trash and Recycling Bins: Clearly identified trash and recycle bins are located throughout Telemundo Center near the printing stations and pantries. There are no individual waste baskets in the offices or workstations.
- Recycling Program: A robust recycling program promotes employee awareness and maximizes engagement on an ongoing basis to inspire habitual practices for employees’ homes and families.
- Electric Car Charging Stations: There are 10 ChargePoint CT4000 series electric car-charging stations available, at cost, for all employees. Once cars are fully charged, a notification is sent via text/email advising the employee that the car is ready for pick-up.
- Carpooling and Commuter Services: The Telemundo Center uses the RideFlag app. Employees submit their destination and find ideal carpool matches based on overlapping routes. Giving employees the choice on whom to ride with, the system seamlessly routes the driver to the rider. RideFlag also verifies the carpools, the miles that were driven and CO2 savings.
- Eco-friendly Vendors: An essential element of Telemundo Center’s efforts is doing business with eco-friendly vendors that prioritize recyclable materials. A prime example is the dry-cleaning company that provides services for employees. They use biodegradable bags and environmentally friendly GreenEarth solvent.
Promoting sustainability is a full-time occupation. To support Telemundo Center’s sustainability initiatives, a dedicated Green Team drives all sustainability efforts within the building. The Green Team ensures implementation, progress and continues to find new ways to protect the environment and the future. The buildings where we work, live and play every day offer great opportunities to make our operations more sustainable, and Comcast NBCUniversal’s newest location at Telemundo Center is fully committed to that effort.